writing


The main types of writings that students are supposed to write in the baccalaureate exam are:
  • Cause and effect essays
  • Argumentative essays
  • Comparison and contrast essays
  • Descriptive essays
It’s very important to know the use of linking words so as to make your essay cohesive and coherent. Besides, try to write as simply as possible. Don’t try to be Shakespeare, be just yourself. “Keep it simple and stupid” As Americans say. Write simple sentences because long sentences are difficult to control. Then, connect them with linking words which are like spices in cooking. They will make your composition like a delicious dish.
Let’s look at the different types of sentences:
  • Simple sentences:
A simple sentence is a sentence which has a subject and a verb.
Examples:
I live in Morocco.
They speak English very well.
I often give my friends present on their birthdays.
They travelled to Agadir last summer.
We are listening to Rai music.

  • A compound sentence contains independent clauses joined by:  and, or, but, so.

I watched a movie, and my brother played computer games.
She was tall, but her sister was short.
They can play in basketball, or go swimming.
It was very cold, so I stayed at home.
  • A complex sentence is a sentence which has a principal clause and one or more subordinate clauses. A complex sentence has always a subordinator, such as: because, because of, due to, as , since

Because it was cold, I put on my coat.
I put on my coat because of the cold.
Due to the cold, I put on my coat.
I put on my coat due to the cold.